Many people think that because their teeth are mostly straight, they would not benefit from braces. However, orthodontic treatment does much more than just straighten your teeth. From bite issues to crowding, braces fix more than aesthetic problems. Dr. Richard Rowan and his team in Merced and Mariposa, CA can help you determine if braces are right for you.
What are some signs I may need braces?
Many people seek orthodontic treatment in Merced and Mariposasimply because they do not like their teeth. However, if you notice one or more of the following problems with your smile, you may benefit from braces.
- Misaligned or crooked teeth: The most obvious reason many people need braces is for misaligned or crooked teeth. Moving the teeth into their correct positions provides a glamorous Hollywood smile to be proud of.
- Overlapping teeth: Overlaps in the teeth cause areas that toothbrush bristles or flossing cannot reach. If you cannot clean these areas, they are not cleaned properly. This allows decay-causing plaque and tartar to build up. By straightening the teeth, thus eliminating these areas, your chances for tooth decay or gum disease are lowered.
- Bite issues: Overbite, underbite and crossbite are obvious aesthetic problems for many people. However, these bite issues also make it difficult to chew food correctly. This can cause jaw pain which can develop into more serious conditions.
- Over/under crowded teeth: When teeth have too little or too much room in the mouth, overcrowding or undercrowding occurs. Overcrowding causes teeth to grow at odd angles or overlap. Undercrowding causes gaps between the teeth.
- Shifting teeth: Teeth tend to shift as we age. This could happen due to grinding your teeth in your sleep, clenching your jaw or just plain genetics. Additionally, when you lose a tooth, the teeth around it shift to compensate for the new gap.
Many people put off getting braces because they do not like the idea of having metal in their mouth. However, there are now alternatives to traditional braces like Invisalign. This system moves teeth using clear aligner trays rather than metal wires and brackets. Your dentist can provide information on which option is best for you.
It is never the wrong time to improve your smile. For more information about orthodontic treatment, contact Dr. Richard Rowan in Merced and Mariposa, CA. Call and schedule your appointment today!